The Altoona Bible Institute exists as a nondegree-granting school of adult education, with the purpose of providing advanced training and equipping in biblical and doctrinal studies, ministry and leadership skills so that men and women may be prepared to do "the work of the ministry", in a vital and effective relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.
In order to accomplish this, the Institute brings together quality professional teaching staff from several churches with a shared commitment to biblical, fundamental convictions. This nondenominational team of instructors sustains a community of Christian love and fellowship for serving God in a changing world.
Teaching Ministry In Altoona, PA
The Altoona Bible Institute began its teaching ministry in Altoona, PA in 1934. Two local men, W.O.H Garman, a Presbyterian pastor, and Russell Aukerman, executive secretary of the YMCA, were the organizers. They recruited other laymen of like minds and dedication who saw a need for a fundamental Bible training course in Altoona. On March 19, 1934, they formed a Board of Directors. The professional teaching staff was secured and classes for a two-year curriculum began April 1934 at the Altoona YMCA, two evenings a week.
The Advisory Council was made up of Dr. William Pettingill, Dr. Frank C Torrey, Rev. WOH Garman, and Dr. Walter long. In 1939 the curriculum was increased to the present three-year doctrinal studies program. Toward the end of World War II, the building at 1111 14th Ave. was purchased and the teaching ministry was carried on there until 2011. It is presently located at 711 3rd St., a comfortable and spacious building with 200 feet of open frontage along Seventh Avenue. To "God be the glory" for the blessings of this ministry.
The bible school operates on a trimester basis with a total of 54 classes with 18 being offered each term. The Institute provides an opportunity for students to obtain a working knowledge of the word of God without leaving home, job and family.